Snort mailing list archives

Tell the ISP- it will create change

From: "Gregory W. Ratcliff" <gratcliff () argusnetsec com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 21:14:04 -0500

Ohio has recently beefed up their "snooping, spoofing, and sniffing"
laws.  Last week I attended a panel discussion with the Assistant to the
Attorney General of Ohio:

First---he started with a discussion indicating that it's a Felony 5
offense if someone "uses" the computing facilities of an organization.
Examples of this include sending mail into someone else's SMTP server,
even if it's a honey pot.  F5 is no jail first offense, up to 18 months
for second, but some very serious fines.

Second--if you don't report a felonious act, then you can be charged
also;
Probably not going to happen--but that's the way the law reads.

Furthermore, that law protects you from any confidentiality agreement
you have, but has far as the AAG knew, there was no way to report
anonymously.

Many companies don't want it to be known if they were compromised---I
guess I can understand.  Not too long ago an Ohio bank was
hacked....when it hit the papers there was a small "run" on that
bank--sure it was too late then, but you know how these things go.  This
is our part, to educate our managers and executives that it improves
things to get it out in the open.

What's the point?  When you send a message to the ISP, be sure to
mention that you're sending it to the local Sheriff too.  Too tough?  I
used to think "live and let live"--but we seen 10's of thousands of
probes and attacks to our systems--one time it could really get
expensive.

Greg Ratcliff
Argus Network Security Services
www.argusnetsec.com