Snort mailing list archives

RE: FreeBSD + 2 devices + error OpenPcap

From: "Moyer, Shawn" <SMoyer () rgare com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:52:46 -0500

Actually scratch that. I knew I'd got this error before on FBSD but didn't
read your question properly.

Since the BPF character node does exist, it looks like your kernel may not
have BPF support. Check for:

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device   bpf

... in your kernel config.

The generic kernel for FBSD 4.x should include this, so you've likely built
a custom kernel without it. Doesn't look like there's a BPF module --
/modules/ng_bpf.ko is probably for Netgraph (ISDN, PPP, Frame, etc.), so
kldload won't do it.

--shawn