Snort mailing list archives

Re: Linux and switch problem???

From: Daniel Curry <dcurry () corio com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:57:32 -0700

Twig,
  Thank you for your help. Here are teh answers
to your questions?

twig les wrote:

What kind of switch?
 Extreme summit 48
 We will be installing onto a Cisco 2912.
What did you change in the sewitch config for this project?
Mirror port

What else is the Linux box doing?
Just running snort.

Simply putting an interface into
promiscious mode can't affect a switch.  If you've
spanned a Cisco 29xx or 35xx, then you may be in
trouble, but make sure you aren't being scapegoated.
That's happened to me before ("Your sniffer is slowing
the network down!!" <huh?>)

--- Daniel Curry <dcurry () corio com> wrote:

     I have configure my eth1 as following.
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
00:50:8B:E3:99:7C
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST
MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xc000

However I am getting reports from our network folks
that "this is
bringing the switch down?"

  My ifcg-eth1 file looks like this.
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes

 Is there anything wrong with my configuration?

Please reply directly. I received snort email via
"digest" mode.

Thank you.
--
Daniel Curry
PGP AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7  0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E
8C92> begin:vcard
n:Curry;Daniel
tel;fax:650-232-3200
tel;work:650-232-4006