Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unable to get Pass rules to ignore some traffic .

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:13:51 -0400

Moyer, Shawn wrote:
Actually, I'm wondering if it's b/c of the "msg:" field being left in the
rule, maybe it's still logging even if it's passing?

Having the "msg:" field specified for a log or pass rule will not affect how the rule functions. It will just not get used for that particular rule.

I have quite a few rules that don't have the slash notation on the end and
they work -- I'm guessing the default if CIDR is not defined is to append
/32.

You are correct, if there is not CIDR block specified, it defaults to /32.

Of course, knowing these things still does not explain why Snort is not properly applying the pass rule.

-A