Snort mailing list archives

Re: Upgrading Snort - Baffled?

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:38:16 -0700

Chae:

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 05:02:14PM +1200, chae wrote:
Hi Yah,

Current have 1.8.1.i386 running on a Cobalt RaQ3, upgraded the rules and
it's only reporting on ICMP's and the Virus rulesets.

Decided to upgrade the 1.8.1 to 1.8.7 - copied the binary onto the server,
stopped snort and issued -Uvh snort-1.8.7-1snort.i386.rpm from the folder
in which I uploaded the binary. The upgraded then came back to me with the
following errors about the /etc/snort/whatever-ruleset-name snort-1.8.7-1
conflicted with the same ruleset name on package 1.8.1.

Okay so did a search on the server for the rpm to uninstall but the rpm had
been removed - previously installed prior to me taking on the server. So
what I then did was renamed the snort folder to something unique along with
the /usr/sbin/snort binary and tried to install the rpm again - same error
everytime I try to upgrade.

Am I missing something totally obvious (Windows user looking after a
Cobalt)? Had a search through documentation for upgrading from older
versions but nothing.

Would it be better to get the tar version and do a make install with that
or I'm I going to get the same errors?
Do I have to physically root out any of the existing snort files and delete
them before installing the new version?

Any pointers would be great or if some could tell me why 1.8.1 has suddenly
stopped logging everything except ICMP and Virus rulesets, all rules were
installed at the same time and used the snort .conf that came with the ruleset.

My very personal opinion would be to never install snort via rpm --
mainly because I want to know where everything goes, and even put
stuff where I want, by my own method. When you use an rpm, you are
forced (unless you fiddle..) to use the rpm builder's assumptions.

Currently I have no fewer than five distinct snort versions installed
and operable on my firewall box, each of them very deliberately placed
in a distinct directory under /usr/local/, each snort.conf renamed
to add the version number (i.e. snort187.conf) and each executable
renamed in the same manner and executed via a sim link out of /usr/bin

Thus I can run any one of these different versions when I want; put on
a new version and test it; and always have my previous version available
and ready to go in a moment, if I need it.

All installations have been done by the traditional tar -xzvf
./configure   make   make install   routine...

My personal method; others may do it differently.

As always, YMMV...

- John
--
"Obviously, we do not want to leave zombies around."