Snort mailing list archives

Re: Klez sig detects Frethem-Fam

From: Shane Williams <shanew () shanew net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:48:27 -0500 (CDT)

I've been using the following rule for a couple of months, and I
haven't seen any false positives (I'm also using it as a system-wide
procmail filter and I check for false positives there), but I'm not
familiar with Frethem-Fam, so maybe I just don't realize.

I purposely put in some of the carriage returns so it's less likely to
set off people's filters.  Note also that I want to know if it's
leaving my network as well as coming in.

# Catch Klez in SMTP
alert tcp any any -> any 25 (msg:"Virus - Klez";
content:"135AAItEjhyJRI8ci0SOGI
lEjxiLRI4UiUSPFItEjhCJRI8Qi0SODIlEjwyLRI4IiUSPCItE"; sid:10012;
classtype:misc-activity; rev:1;)

If you get either false negatives or positives, please let me know.