Snort mailing list archives

RE: Viewing detail logs causes secondary false posi tive.

From: "Graham, Randy (RAW) " <RAW () y12 doe gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:37:49 -0400

I don't know how others handle this, but I can tell you what I use where I
work.  My Snort central database and ACID console are on one machine which
is only accessible via SSH.  On that machine, I run Apache listening only on
localhost (127.0.0.1).  To view the ACID console, authorized users must 'ssh
-X username@acidhost' and run konqueror on the ACID host.  This transports
the entire web session over an encrypted SSH tunnel.  Works great, no one
can get to my ACID data unless they break in through SSH (which I've updated
to avoid the latest OpenSSH vulnerabilty), and I don't have to do anything
for my users beyond loading cygwin and creating an account on the machine
hosting ACID.

RagManX