Snort mailing list archives

Re: lots of ttl evasion attempt alerts snort 1.8.7

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:19:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, David E. Gianndrea wrote:

Add ttl_limit 0

Would somebody please explain this change. I too have been seeing
these alerts, but im not quite sure I understand what they are, and
what the effect of this change are.

Well, in spp_stream4.c:

   151      u_int8_t  ttl_limit; /* the largest difference we'll accept in the
   152                              course of a TTL conversation */

And then from reading on down in the code, it seems as though the ttl_limit is
the amount of difference in ttls on packets that form a 'conversation'.  With
the limit at 0, it doesn't care about them.

If I'm not right, I'm sure someone will correct me! :)  Or at least I hope
they do!!  ;-)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams