Snort mailing list archives

Re: any support / plug-in / integration plan for HID

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:02:40 -0400

Agreed wholeheartedly. Although the two are related conceptually, ie: both are used for security, the practical relationship in terms of integrating the code or functionality is non-existent.

I guess I'm also a bit biased in that I too agree with the tenets of UNIX. I've seen way too many Microsoftish "do everything, and do them badly" applications (ie: HTML editing in Word?) to take any pleasure at all in these "swiss army knife" applications. If two tools are completely different, putting them on a common handle doesn't do you any good, other than making the tools easier to keep together, and harder to use. I'd much rather eat with a knife and fork than a swiss army knife that has a knife blade and a fork blade.

So no, snort should never include HIDS, firewall, email generation, GUI graph generation, SMTP proxy-thru email virus scanning, HTTP proxies, nmap or nessus type network scanning or anything else that doesn't belong as part of a NIDS. The community is much better served by the snort devel team focusing on making snort the best NIDS there is, and leaving tasks that don't directly benefit from integration with snort as separate tools. Integration of unrelated tools with a common interface is best left to "control center" type applications.