Snort mailing list archives

Re: Klez false positive

From: Shane Williams <shanew () shanew net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:51:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Claudiu wrote:

Hi all,
I have active the last rule set from snort site and I am receiving a
lot of Klez alerts which are false positive. The string
"VGhpcyBwcm9" which Klez rule is looking for is found, for example,
in shokwaveinstaler.exe as well. Does anyone has a better rule?
Thanks.

I've been using the following rule for a couple of months, and I
haven't seen any false positives (I'm also using it as a system-wide
procmail filter and I check for false positives there).

I purposely put in some of the carriage returns so it's less likely to
set off people's filters.  Note also that I want to know if it's
leaving my network as well as coming in.

# Catch Klez in SMTP
alert tcp any any -> any 25 (msg:"Virus - Klez";
content:"135AAItEjhyJRI8ci0SOGI
lEjxiLRI4UiUSPFItEjhCJRI8Qi0SODIlEjwyLRI4IiUSPCItE"; sid:10012;
classtype:misc-activity; rev:1;)

--
http://pgp.mit.edu/                |