Snort mailing list archives

Re: 17203 portscan alerts in 23 hours from same IP

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:37:57 -0400

Perhaps the citibank webpage has a gif-image which reloads at regular intervals? In that case all she'd need to do is leave the browser open, and those kinds of reloading images are pretty common.

It strikes me as highly absurd to consider reset/fin packets coming from port 80 on a valid webserver to be a portscan of any sort. Sure webservers get knocked over and used to attack others sometimes, but very rarely do those scans originate from port 80 (since they'd have to shut the webserver down) and rarely do they consist of ARF ("close connection and stop talking to me, don't even acknowledge the close") type packets at regular intervals to normal client ports. ARF isn't exactly a very useful combination of flags for portscanning AFAIK.

I think the appropriate question to ask here is "why was my user's machine trying to contact citibank's website so frequently" rather than "why was citibank scanning me", and I think the answer is that someone had a couple of pages with self-refreshing images open and left the browser running.