Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and high-traffic lines

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Jens Krabbenhoeft wrote:

  I have been playing around with snort (1.9.0b6) quite a while now,
trying to get snort work with a big ruleset (~ 1200 rules, HOME_NET set
to one /19 and one /16, EXTERNAL_NET set to any) in a high-traffic
environment.

[...snip...]

What would be the right hardware to snort that much traffic?
What would be the right OS?
How can I improve snort's performance in general (when changing the
ruleset and changing HOME/EXTERNAL_NET is not possible)?
How did you deploy snort successfully in a high-bandwidth environment?
Any tweaks for the OSes such as adjusting buffers, ...?

One thing that you can do that will speed things up:  Don't use multiple nets
in HOME_NET.  Instead, use two snort processes that use a different .conf
file.  That would also let you slim down your rules, since you could disable
ones that don't have anything to do with your net.

Other things to consider:

  *  Change your disk subsystem to high end SCSI.
  *  More RAM
  *  Faster CPU
  *  More CPU's if your OS will support them well.

You might want to have a look at this link[0] as well.  It's message from
Marty discussing this very thing.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams