Snort mailing list archives

external_net vs !home_net

From: charella constansia <sharella () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:38:24 -0700 (PDT)

hai,

I've been dealing with this for a while. I want to
know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug in
Snort.

I'm running snort sensor(1.8.7) on RedHat7.3.

My snort.conf:
$HOME_NET [xx,xx,xx,xx/24,yy,yy,yy,yy/24,and a few
more]
$EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET.

If I write a alert:
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any
(msg:"bla";)
This rule will also catch traffic from my internal net
to my internal net, and I will get too much false
positives.
But if i write it like below:
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> !$HOME_NET any (msg:"bla";)
it won't catch it.

Is this a bug in snort if you have multiple subnets in
your HOME_NET.

Please help me,