Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort-users digest, Vol 1 #2311 - 12 msgs

From: "Vieth, Scott" <svieth () mail mcw edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:14:26 -0500

Paul:

I've also got a DL360 G2 running RH7.3 and Snort.  Two 1.4GHz CPUs.  I have
three interfaces active right now (one for management, one for a high-volume
SPAN, one for a low-volume SPAN).  Snort runs just fine.  SnortSnarf is the
biggest pig (pun intended) on my box right now.  Per your suggestion, I'm
going to try snort_stat instead of SnortSnarf to parse the alert file.

-Scott

Hello,

I'm using Snort 1.8.7 on RHLinux7.0 on a Compaq DL360. Currently it has 2
NICs (1 for management, one for the sniffer). My current sensor is not
exposed to heavy traffic and I was considering adding more NICs to the box
so I can have it monitoring other segments at the same time, rather than
build more sensors. Is anyone out there running Snort on a box with say, 4
NICs, where 3 of the NICs are each running their own Snort instance,
monitoring different network segments? If traffic is light enough on each
segment, it seems better not to waste extra hardware and build separate
sensors.

I wanted to get an idea if others are doing this, is it wise to do it, will
it work etc?