Snort mailing list archives

RE: DOS rules for Nimda

From: "Tudor Panaitescu" <tpanaitescu () colorcon com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:37:48 -0400

Even Better (assuming that you have Cisco):

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/nimda.shtml

Enjoy,
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|       |                                                      |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|   To: |   "Richard Ellerbrock" <richarde () eskom co za>,       |
|       |   snort-users () lists sourceforge net                  |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|   cc: |   (bcc: Tudor Panaitescu/ColorconUS)                 |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|       |                                                      |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|   Subj|   RE: [Snort-users] DOS rules for Nimda              |
|   ect:|                                                      |
|       |                                                      |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|

[IMAGE]
First things first, forget intrusion detection.

 Implement some good ACL's at
the border, and prevent the web servers from initiating any outside connections:

access-list 110 permit tcp host x.x.x.x eq 80 any established
access-list 110 permit tcp host x.x.x.x eq 443 any established

Apply this inbound on the segment Ethernet interface (assuming Cisco here).
Legitimate traffic will not be affected, as those connections will be
established when the interface sees them inbound (this is actually outbound
traffic, but is not filtered as such until it reaches a serial interface).  This
will do three things:

1) It will stop the worm from propagating,
2) It will free up your router's resources, and
3) Keep the outgoing flood off of your Internet pipe

Once you've done that, then you can set up a simple Snort sensor on a monitoring
port (likely monitoring the uplink from your core switch to your router's
Ethernet interface).  All you need to do is download and compile Snort, test
according to the USAGE guidelines, set your home net, and let 'er rip.  The
snort.conf defaults should be just fine for catching and logging these systems,
and no configuration of stream4 should no necessary in this instance.

Cheers

Keith