Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Sigature based on time

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:18:58 -0400

Instead of blocking and causing a DoS to yourself snort can \send resets to the specific connection once identified or send back a denied content page. Identifying the abuser should be possible with thresholding. THis happens once ot twice and I would expect them to give up or slow down considerably.

twig les wrote:

We've gone thru this scenario at my work with
Netrangers (they can update Cisco acls).  We don't
like it.  Basically it can work if you have a
bleed-off period (like BGP flaps) and a list of IPs
that can never be blocked (root nameservers for
example).

Still, it's possible to DoS yourself.

--- Jason <security () brvenik com> wrote:
This capability was added on 8/26 by the looks of
the changelog.

2002-08-26  mfr <roesch () sourcefire com>
   * src/threshold.c src/threshold.h src/detect.c
src/rules.h src/parser.c
        added thresholds to snort rules language, docs to
come

I haven't had a chance to check it out and there are
no docs on it yet but the basic capability
should be there to do just what you are looking for.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/snort/snort/src/threshold.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-ma
from there looks like this as a rule option for you
would look like

threshold:5,ip
you could also do it by event or port

the blocking part can be taken up as a react or resp
or you can do the firewall reconfig stuff but the
list will happily speak to the dangers there.

Jason

Ellis Corey wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know how to write a signature to
catch the following
scenario.

a user sending multiple valid HTTP request to a web
server from the same IP
in a given time frame (say 20 identical requests in
5 secs).  I want to
block this ip, if this scenario happens.   I have a
string I can look for in
the HTTP header also "WebRegistration".  We are
getting bombarded by user
WebRegistrations from this one user.  When you
block his ip, he just
switches it, and uses another one.  I want to see
if Snort can automate this
detection and block the requests on the fly.

Can it be done.

Thanks

=====
http://health.yahoo.com