Snort mailing list archives

Re: SSL worm sigs

From: Tim Bogart <tim.bogart () wcom com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:53:12 -0400

If you please;  This will probably sound like a stupid question but ...

Are the fences around the actual signature part of the signatue, or are they
delimiters used by snort?

Tia,

Tim B.

On Sunday 15 September 2002 09:18 pm, Brian Caswell wrote:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"EXPERIMENTAL
WEB-MISC bad HTTP/1.1 request, potentual worm attack";
flow:to_server,established; content:"GET / HTTP/1.1|0a 0d 0a 0d|";
offset:0; depth:18;
reference:url,securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2002.
09.13.html; classtype:web-application-activity; sid:1881; rev:1;)

As I no longer have an attack lab, I havn't been able to play with the new
worm that attacks apache-ssl.  However, I have written a sig that looks for
the precurser that the worm sends.

The worm sends "GET / HTTP/1.1\r\n\r\n" to port 80.  This is not a valid
HTTP 1.1 request.  This will catch a bunch of lame CGI scanners, and won't
catch people using the actual exploit, it should catch the worm probing
your network.

Please test and let me know how the sig works out.  When I get back to work
tommorow, I will test a bit more, then commit it to the tree for all to
grab with the snapshots.

-brian