Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort question

From: Bill Gercken <bgercken () comcast net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:03:49 -0400

Hi,

Not sure if you already have an answer but here goes:

In the first case (command not found) snort was not in your current
directory and therefore could not be executed. (That is what the "./"
does in your command line.) You can determine where snort is in your
path by typing:

which snort

on the command line. That should give you the path to where you installed
snort.

The second command line you used found snort in your path,
but you are asking it to log to the directory ".log", which
probably does not exist. (".log" is a perfectly good name for
the directory if you are trying to hide the data, but you need
to make sure that is what you really wanted.) You probably wanted
"./log". Make sure that you created the directory in the current
directory and that the permissions are correct (your umask should
provide the correct defaults) and try the command again.

Regards,
-bill