Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscan log

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 05:57:57 -0700

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 10:55:04AM +0800, francisv () dagupan com wrote:
Hi,

How do I log portscans in the SQL database?

---
 francis a. vidal [bitstop network services] | http://www.bitstop.ph
 streaming media + web hosting               | http://www.keystone.ph
 v(02)330-2871,(02)330-2872; f(02)330-2873   | http://www.kuro.ph

umm..

Are they *not* being logged?

Are you saying this:

<snip>
# portscan: detect a variety of portscans
# ---------------------------------------
# portscan preprocessor by Patrick Mullen <p_mullen () linuxrc net>
# This preprocessor detects UDP packets or TCP SYN packets going to
# four different ports in less than three seconds. "Stealth" TCP
# packets are always detected, regardless of these settings.

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log
# keep as from 1.8.4
<snip>

In your snort.conf?

For me, this creates a text log in my snort logging directory, and an
alert goes into the database, as well...

...I'm not aware that you need to do more.

- John
--
"Obviously, we do not want to leave zombies around."

PGP key:     http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705