Snort mailing list archives

Re: no ip on interface?

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:15:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, T.Shaw wrote:

this might be a stupid question.. but here goes..I have snort 1.8.7 up and
running loggin to a pgsql database. I haven't installed ACID as of yet. I
have configured snort to look at all traffic at an interface that currently
doesnt have an ip assigned to it. Basically the interface is just up ( this
is a linux box with two interfaces on it)  What im wondering is even tho i
have no ip on the interface, will snort still be able to dump alerts and
data into the database? Using a normal sniffer (ethereal, tcpdump) i can
view the traffic on the interface by specifying the (usually) the -i
parameter.  If i gave snort a smiliar parameter.. everything should be fine
correct? Would this screw up reporting and alerts?

If I'm reading your question correctly:  No.

If you box only has one interface and that intercface has no IP, you can't
send any data out.  W/O the three way handshake, it's not going to setup the
connection, and with no IP the packets are missing a important bit of info. :)

Add a second interface, place it on a backend net and have your console
sitting on that.  That way you can remotely manage the box over the net.

If you box already has two interfaces setup like that, then ignore this email.
:)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams