Snort mailing list archives

Re: "snort dead but subsys locked"

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:21:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Luiz Alberto Cataldo Jr wrote:

I am with a serious problem.  I am having problems initializing the Snort.
I am using the Red Hat 7,2, when I enter in/etc/rc.d/init.d and I execute
the command /snortd start and I receive the message OK. After this I execute
/snortd status and I receive the message "snort dead but subsys locked". I
have already looked all the configuration and I did not find anything wrong.
Somebody knows how i could resolve is.

It seems like there's something wrong with the /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd script,
and not with snort itself.  Check to make sure that you don't have a config
file error with 'snort -T'.  If that works, then check to see that snort is
working 'snort -vd'.  If all that works, then it's a problem with your script.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy