Snort mailing list archives

RE: newbie question ....

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:36:48 -0400

By looking at the packet captures and determining patterns.  Patterns may be related the network service in use (i.e.,
Kerberos), or they may be related to the exploit itself.  A common example would be [insert lame IIS exploit here],
which usually involves sending packets that contain at least X number of characters, where X is a number just higher
than that which the system can appropriately process.