Snort mailing list archives

Re: Local scan only

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 14:29:01 -0400

As for snort.conf:

make sure HOME_NET is set correctly with the correct CIDR style netmask. Most snort rules ignore traffic which is not destined to a machine in that range. For example 192.168.1.0/24 will match all IPs in the 192.168.1.* range, but 192.168.1.1/32 will only match the single IP 192.168.1.1.

For hardware:

Are you sure your hub is truly passive? (ie: "automatic dual speed hubs" contain a switch). try getting windump and seeing if your nic really is seeing the packets. It uses the same winpcap interface that snort for windows will use.

Windump's homepage (referred from http://www.tcpdump.org/wpcap.html) is:

http://windump.polito.it/