Snort mailing list archives

Re: Proffesional Opinions ---wanted

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 17:47:38 -0400

My personal opinion, and one I've repeated often on the list, is that the greatest danger in flexresp is that it might lead you to believe it is useful in "managing attacks".

An attacker that knows you are using flexresp can actively bypass it by advancing the sequence number. And if someone is actually attacking your network by hand, they will know you're using some kind of flexresp like system pretty quickly. Sure they won't be able to get past it every time, but they can and will be able to get past it some of the time, certainly often enough to succeed if you were counting in flexresp to stop some kiddie from r00ting your box.

Flexresp is a neat little tool, and it's useful for non-security situations, ie: if you're using snort as a bizarre pr0n filter, or as a absolute last ditch effort, but NEVER treat flexresp as a sure thing. I think it also has some place in attempting to defend against theoretical attacks if a signature is generated before a patch to the server code in question can be made.

Flexresp is not a replacement for a well-patched server and properly configured firewall, but as long as you aren't counting on it to provide security it has some uses.