Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort.conf & commandline.

From: Francesca Milanini <francesca.milanini () fastwebnet it>
Date: 09 Jul 2002 15:18:13 +0200

var EXTERNAL_NET = $HOME_NET doesn't work (I tried it yesterday)
var EXTERNAL_NET $HOME_NET is ok (I tried it now)
Francesca

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 17:04, Rich Adamson wrote:

var HOME_NET any
var EXTERNAL_NET $HOME_NET
Command line options will override setup variables in snort.conf.
Or is the config file parsed (HOME_NET=any, EXTERNAL_NET=any) and then
the command line (HOME_NET=192.168.1.34/32, EXTERNAL_NET=192.168.1.34/32)

Reason why I ask this is, I released snort 1.8.6 as a Debian package
recently and found that EXTERNAL_NET has $HOME_NET as value, and was
wondering what the impact of redefining the HOME_NET variable during
snort-startup would be on EXTERNAL_NET.

I hope the above clarifies what I try to find out :)

My guess based on your comments is you probably want an equal sign
in the var External_Net definition. Something like:
  var EXTERNAL_NET = $HOME_NET,  or,
  var EXTERNAL_NET != $HOME_NET

If I've understood what you're trying to accomplish, the Home_Net should
describe the IP addresses that you are trying to protect (or observe),
and the External_Net is everything else (eg, !=).