Snort mailing list archives

Re: greetings

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:54:15 -0400

Hmm, they probably eliminated it because it's a CVS snapshot and people were using it to update their snort installs :)

That rule tarball is not certain to be compatible with anything but the latest CVS version of the code anyway, so if you want to run the latest CVS rules, you should get them with the latest cvs code. ( snort-daily.tar.gz should have both code and rules)

Try getting your signatures from here instead:
http://www.snort.org/dl/signatures/

if you're running a production (numbered release) of snort, use snortrules.tar.gz from there.. if you're using a beta, snortrules-current is probably best.

(also be aware that in the snort world, all things "snapshot" are under development and are not guaranteed to even compile, much less work correctly, but usually do. Use at your own risk and don't be surprised when they fail)