Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snorting ACID and DB maintenance

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () broadvision com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:25:30 -0700

You should be able to delete or move into the archive any type of alerts you like based on a search. You can do this by going into search, entering a search which results in the types of alerts to be deleted, and selecting 'delete' or 'move into archive' at the bottom of the screen.

Of course, I've never actually DONE this, but it should work :-). I have my snort rules set up pretty well to filter false positives at this point, so I don't get many of them.

- Jim

Randy Bey wrote:

Hey Now,
I have ACID installed and lo and behold, less than a day and 1000 events
in both 'event' and 'acid_event' tables.

By my modest predictions, this will be a !#@$&! of data toot sweet.

Other than going into ACID and manually selecting false positives and
deleting them, are there other thoughts on how to keep from choking on
the DB size?

Not sure if this an ACID question or a MYSQL question. Probably more
MYSQL, although I know even less about MYSQL than I do about ACID after
a whole day of experimentation.

Such as,
1) can I limit the size of the MYSQL database?
2) Can I do something as bone simple as 'delete from (event, acid_event)
where timestamp < "some timestamp";'?

Any ideas or good general practices out there?

Randy Bey
RiverNorth Systems
7300 W 147th St Suite 300
Apple Valley, MN 55124