Snort mailing list archives

Re: 1000s of SMTP RCPT TO overflow and Speedera Pings

From: "Ian Macdonald" <secsnort () dirk demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:21:57 -0400

If you are interested in ICMP traffic then it is good to split the icmp data
into different rules so you can safely ignore it or block it on your
firewall. A lot of rules are informational rules that are there to give you
information about what is happening on your network. If you don't care about
it feel free to create a pass rule for that kind of data or it you don't
care about any icmp traffic then disable the whole rule set. One thing to
note, if you disable speedera but not the more general ICMP rules then more
general rule will trigger inside which is why I suggest using a pass rule.