Snort mailing list archives

Re: Log vs. Alert --end the confusion!

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:04:49 -0400

"Williams Jon" <WilliamsJon () JohnDeere com> writes:

While we're talking about how preprocessors log packets, could someone help
me out with the stream4 preprocessor?  There are a number of seemingly
useful alerts that come out of it, such as the TTL evasion alerts, but when
I go to the log, it looks as if snort only logs the last packet or the one
that actually triggered the alert.  As a result, it is very difficult to go
back through and describe to the "attacker" or their ISP what the activity
was.  Obviously, the stream4 preprocessor had to have had all of the packets
go through it and remember that the TTL was 5 on packet A, 8 on B, and so
on.  Is it possible to get it to write out all the packets in the offending
stream?

I could add a flush the stream to the logging subsystem call but
that's not guaranteed to show the initial packet that set the ttl.  in
1.9, the ttl_evasion stuff will only go off if the current packet is a
low number.

This goes for all the alerts that come out of this preprocessor, and
not just the TTL one.

When we switch to a better logging subsystem, a lot more information
about "WHAT" happened will be great.
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
A watched process never cores.