Snort mailing list archives

Re: what is this mean?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:09:20 -0400

Offhand I can't tell you what the first number (the 1) is, but the second and third are the signature ID (SID) and revision of the rule that caused the alert. There might be multiple rules with the same message, but there should never be two rules with the same SID.

so the SID of the rule is 1721, and it's revision 3 of the rule.

if you look at the rule (in web-cgi.rules)

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"WEB-CGI adcycle access"; flags:A+; uricontent:"/adcycle"; nocase; classtype:web-application-activity; sid:1721; rev:3;)

the sid and rev are the last two parts.