Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort deadly quiet in the firewall.

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:47:49 -0400

I see two possible problems offhand:

1) Are you sure the attack packets are even reaching the machine with dynamic IP? some ISP's have firewalls upstream of their users so the packets never reach the network. They may also do things like re-assembling all fragmented packets at their network boundaries, prior to transporting them to your network. This is saves them network wire bandwidth, at the cost of extra router CPU usage (few ISP's are likely to do this, but I'd not be surprised if some do).

2) are you sure that snort.conf's HOME_NET is being updated to match the changes to the dynamic IP? (changing the one on the command line is not the same thing).