Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort sees no fragmented attack

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 12:26:35 -0400

My first inclination after reading the snrot.conf Holger is using is to ask how bad is the packet drop rate?

The reason I ask is that HOME_NET, EXTERNAL_NET and HTTP_SERVERS are all set to 'any' ... That's going to put a pretty painful load on snort.

Send a kill -USR1 to snort and then look.

also the rule in question uses HTTP_PORTS, being a relatively new rule, but the snort.conf doesn't contain this variable, being from an old snort. Is snort even successfully loading this rules files? or is snort bombing out on startup because it can't understand the syntax of the rule files?

when upgrading your rulefiles note that the rules tarball contains a new snort.conf.. don't ignore it. It's in with the rules tarball for a very significant reason.

At 04:09 PM 8/9/2002 +0200, Andreas Östling wrote:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 Holger.Woehle () arcor net wrote:

> echo "GET /aaaaaaa/aaa/aaaaa/aaaaaaaa/aaaaaaa/bcc/bin/ps" | nc

I think this should work since you seem to have frag2 loaded...
(perhaps a very old version?)

I tried 1.9beta2 on 100 mtu ethernet and snort had no trouble with
that packet/rule (alert was generated).

/Andreas