Snort mailing list archives

Re: VDQ: Snort basic

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:46:15 -0400

Snort isn't really a "defense" per se, it's more of a intrusion attempt detection/logging tool that you can use to give you a "heads up" to various pokes and prods at your network. In the event of an actual network intrusion snort can provide valuable forensics that alert you to the problem, and give you a general idea of what machine was attacked (provided the snort box itself is not comprimized).

For "defense", as in network traffic blocking, linux comes with an in-kernel firewall. The tool you use to configure it is called iptables, or ipchains in the case of older 2.2.x series kernels. Using this tool you can create general rules to filter inbound and outbound traffic, such as blocking all inbound icmp echo requests to broadcasts, etc.

Of course, an even more important aspect of defense is not to be running services that will need firewalling in the first place, so unless you need them, make sure you aren't running sendmail as a daemon, shut down bind, portmapper, nfsd, ypbind, remote access linuxconf, lpd, and all that other miscellaneous publicly accessible service garbage that redhat tends to turn on by default unless you specify a high security install. Then use iptables to have the linux box defend the machines running behind it.

You might want to read the LDP's quickstart howto on securing redhat boxes:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-Quickstart-Redhat-HOWTO/index.html

Section 5.2 covers iptables.