Snort mailing list archives

RE: ACID Database Cleanup (data.MYD)

From: Michael Aylor <maylor () swbanktx com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:13:09 -0500

Trying running an "optimize" on the tables in question.  Check www.mysql.com
documentation for exact syntax.

-----Original Message-----
From: krista l merrill [mailto:kmerr001 () cs fiu edu]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 12:21 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] ACID Database Cleanup (data.MYD)

I am using ACID to delete the alerts from my MySQL database, but the
data.MYD table doesn't seem to get smaller.  What should I do to prevent
this?

From: skc () lanl gov
Date: 2001-10-16

"If you use ACID to do the delete, the payload entry in the data table
should be removed.  If you are assuming the payloads are not being removed
because the size of the data.MYD is not getting smaller ... that is not a
good indicator.  The data.MYD will forever be 4.2 gig from now on ... that
is the way mysql works.  If ACID said it deleted the alerts, you can be
pretty sure the payload entry was removed from data.MYD."

What causes data.MYD to be so large, and how can decrease the size of the
table?

Thank you,

Kris