Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Solaris 8 with quad card

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:28:54 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Chris Frazier - PA wrote:

I have Snort running on a Ultra 5 with Solaris 8.  I bring up interfaces
qfe2 and qfe3 without IP addresses being assigned on differnet VLANs, and
have Snort listen on those interfaces using separate commands:

snort -D -c conf.file -l /var/log/snort/qfe2 -i qfe2
snort -D -c conf.file -l /var/log/snort/qfe3 -i qfe3

When I trigger scans on those VLANs, qfe2 logs the results, but qfe3 does
nothing.  If I kill the snort running on qfe3, and just do a tcpdump -i
qfe3, and run tthe scans again, I see the traffic.

Ok, lets check this a bit more.  If you use a 'snort -vade -i qfe2' and run
scans, do you see the traffic?  Where does this traffic come from?  A third
machine?  If just run the qfe3 instance (as above), does it log?  Running a
'snort -vade -i qfe3' while scanning--Does that show any data?

So am I doing something completely wrong, or am I trying to do something
that is not possible.

It all depends.  :)  'Not Possible' just means someone else hasn't done it
yet.  ;-)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

-----