Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP RCPT TO overflow

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:20:08 +1200

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 03:37:37PM -0400, Jhumri Tilayia wrote:
Is the dsize:>800 for the packet or only for the content ? We are not sure
what is setting off the alert since our maillogs don't indicate mail being
sent to a recipient with a very long name or control characters etc. in the
name. Anyone else experience something similar ?

I've seen this a bit too. False positive. Check the timestamp of the hit
against your mail logs, and you will probably find a message from one of the
security mailing-lists - like BugTraq.