Snort mailing list archives

Re: Syslog output other file

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:46:17 -0400

The syslog will output via syslog.. ie: the system log daemon, not direct file IO.

As an application, snort has no direct control over where syslog puts the data, that's up to the configuration of the syslogd. Most systems configure the syslog to log *.info to /var/log/messages.

If you want to use syslog and specify where things go, edit your /etc/syslog.conf or whatever file is appropriate for the syslogd you are using.

If you don't really want to use the system logger, try output log_tcpdump (fast binary logging) or output log_unified and output alert_unified.

Note: unless you understand how syslog works, I'd recommend not using it with snort.