Snort mailing list archives

Re: a little confusion

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:26:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, UU/ppp139352 wrote:

Sorry for a basic basic question, but I've read the docs and I'm confused
about one point.

Oh, that's OK.  We welcome all with equal sarcasm here. ;-)

I've installed snort and it came with a number of ".rules" files. I've put
these in roots home directory /var/private/root/.snortrc/
Is this the correct place or should the be in /etc/snort/ ?
Secondly I presume there should be a snort.conf somewhere maybe in /etc?

Well...  That depends.

When snort is started, it looks for a snort.conf file in /etc/snort.conf or in
<homedir>/snort.conf.  If that fails it looks for a <homedir>/.snortrc.

In the current version (1.8.6) of snort.conf it has a new variable RULE_PATH.
You can define that to be anywhere.  I personally like to have all my eggs in
one basket, or at least within the same 'zone' if you will.  Pick one way to
do all of it and stick with it across _all_ sensors.  I can't stress _HOW_
important that is.  :)  "One place to find them, one .conf to bind them."
(With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien)....

Cheers!  :)

-----
Erek Adams