Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX firwalls & Cisco Routers

From: "Scot Scot" <scotw () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:23:41 -0500

Snort can be used for that type of function...
but i know that CheckPoint supports this...

SnortSam is an intelligent agent that allows the popular
open-source Intrusion Detection System called Snort to block
intruding connections by reconfiguration of Checkpoint
Firewall-1/VPN-1 firewalls.
<snip>

On 12 Apr 2002, Austin Gonyou wrote:

> Is it possible to have snort login to the firewall and block IPs, etc,
> in the event of an error? We're thinking of using the Cisco IDS
> management software for that, and a few other reasons. TIA

This is similar to a project that's on my to do list. I would like snort to reconfigure my Cisco routers when certain types of attacks are detected. Currently I use ISS's RealSecure Network Sensor (not very customizable and pretty spendy $$$$) TCL script support to telnet to, and reconfigure my filtering Cisco routers. Perhaps we need to throw something together in TCL or VB to perform this function after parsing a snort alert.ids file in real time? If myself or anyone on my engineering teem get this capability coded I will let everyone know ASAP.

Below are the links to the RealSecure_RouterCFG_expect.zip (For the Windows people). You don't need RealSecure to use this (FREE) tool, you can write a .bat or .cmd to call the utility.

http://www.iss.net

http://www.iss.net/support/product_utilities/realsecure_tech_center/tech_notes/index.php

Scot