Snort mailing list archives

Re: can't start snort

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:22:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, c cheng wrote:

Thanks for your help! It seems to work, and I didn't encounter any error
after ./snort command.

Ok, that's a good sign.

However after I ran the command, I couldn't enter anything in the command
prompt, unless I hit control c. After I hit the control c, it gave me a
bunch of report and then returned to the command prompt. Since I am new to
Snort, is this normal? How can I let Snort run in the background and using
my Bash shell at the same time? Thanks!!!!

Well...  It depends. :)  You've got two options:  Use the standard *nix
'fork', aka "&", or use the -D command line option to snort.

[erek@foofusbunny]/snort#/usr/local/bin/snort -\?

-*> Snort! <*-
Version 1.8.6 (Build 105)
By Martin Roesch (roesch () sourcefire com, www.snort.org)
USAGE: /usr/local/bin/snort [-options] <filter options>

[...snip...]

        -D         Run Snort in background (daemon) mode

[...snip...]

If you haven't already, I would _strongly_ urge you to print the
snortusersmanual.pdf file and read all of it.  If you can't take the time to
dig into it all, then read the section "Snort Overview".  It will make a lot
of things make sense.  Next thing, RTFF.  Read the Friendly FAQ.  :)  It's on
the snort.org website.

Good luck!

-----
Erek Adams