Snort mailing list archives

RE: Thoughts on internal vs. external IDS rulesets

From: Alwin Raymundo <alrayworld () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 05:15:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul,

I'm interested to what you have said in your email.

can you give me some sample of rules that directory
showing up to the world.

Thanks

Paul

--- "Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW)"
<Paul.Sheahan () priceline com> wrote:

Some examples:

If your network normally has a certain type of
traffic (i.e. mail, web etc),
then set Snort to look for traffic OTHER than this.
This will give you an
indication of someone messing around.

Create some rules to check for odd types of traffic
such as UDP traffic,
fragmented traffic, ICMP traffic etc. This can help
flag down problems on
the network, someone snooping around, trojans etc.

Also, set your Snort sensor to alert you whenever
internal server names, IP
addresses, database names, application names, and
names of private
directories etc appear in OUTGOING packets. Normally
you don't want internal
data like this going out for the whole world to see.

Paul Sheahan
Manager of Information Security
Priceline.com
paul.sheahan () priceline com