Snort mailing list archives

RE: Placement of Snort IDS

From: "Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW)" <Paul.Sheahan () priceline com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:28:22 -0400

Place your Snort box on the switch, and span the port it is on. It will then
sniff all traffic passing through the switch. The Snort sensor is not setup
as a gateway.

Snort is used to alert and log certain packets, it does not drop them based
on a rule. Though whoever told you that it drops packets was probably
referring to the flexresp option, where you can send tcp resets based on a
rule being triggered.

Paul Sheahan
Manager of Information Security
Priceline.com