Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Destination Unreachable

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:10:18 -0400

These packets are *extremely* common and very ordinary. There are a wide variety of ICMP destination unreachable packets and they are all used to signal that an IP packet did not reach it's destination for some reason or another. In this case, the message indicates that a packet reached the destination machine, but the machine was not listening for data on that port. This generaly only occurs for UDP traffic, since TCP would emit a RST instead. Very common when a client machine gives up on a DNS query, and the server winds up answering some time later anyway, among other sources.

AFAIK they only exist in snort to provide extra data to analyze traffic surrounding a real attack. That's why the classification is "misc activity", and not something bad.