Snort mailing list archives

Re: where can i find out the meaning (stealth nop)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:23:37 -0400

Well, if you intend to take IDS seriously.. don't use the vision ruleset. It's not been maintained since 8/21/2001, which is ancient in the IDS world.

The default ruleset that comes with snort is by far more current, Get snort 1.8.6, and use it's ruleset.

Some of the rules in the default snort ruleset have documentation at the snort.org website (last item in the left column "signature documentation"). Which is a good first-try place to look. Unfortunately it seems that only the search by SID feature works for now, and there's no docs written for the steath-nop one yet..

briefly, here's my own interpretation of stealth-nop (yes, I'll clean up the formatting and submit this to snort-sigs later, I'm not being paid as I write this, and have work to do :)

SID:
651

Impact:
It is possible someone was attempting to buffer overflow and gain unauthorized access to one of your servers

Detailed Information:
This rule triggers when a binary pattern appears in any IP packet contents which matches one form of filler-byte used in buffer overflow attacks. Buffer overflows allow execution of arbitrary code with the privlege level of the affected server process. A very detailed discussion of how basic buffer overflows work can be found in the text of "Smashing the stack for fun and profit" by Aleph One in Phrack #49. A simple web search will reveal several sources of this document, one of which is http://online.securityfocus.com/library/14.

Attack Scenarios:
If the attacker suspects you have a server which is vulnerable to buffer overflow, they will attempt to exploit this vulnerability to gain access.

Ease of attack:
Tools that use buffer overflows with stealth nop are widely available.

False positives:
This byte pattern can naturally occur in almost any binary data, so file downloads, streaming media, etc can cause this to false positive. If this traffic appears to be coming from a web or ftp server outside your network to one of your client machines, it is likely a false alert caused by someone downloading a binary file. If this was directed at a port on one of your machines which is running a server process, you may want to check to see if it has been exploited.