Snort mailing list archives

RE: private IP scans

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:58:59 -0400

This is pretty standard, and could be any number of tools.  Nmap just
happens to be the usual suspect.  You could spend a ton of time trying
to figure out "who dun it?" but the better course of action would be to
filter these types of things at your border.  See
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2827.txt?number=2827 for some general
guidelines on ingress filters.  It will probably take about ten minutes
to craft some ACL's, and you shouldn't be seeing these any more (unless
you have a much larger problem on your hands).

Cheers

Keith