Snort mailing list archives

Re: Setting up a Windowz Interface to monitor with no IP Address

From: "Scot Scot" <scotw () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:24:49 -0500

As noted, there are several methods for yanking packets off the wire in Windows without assigning a layer three address. As Cliff notes below, not all devices and services will function properly if the native TCP/IP suite provider stack is disabled. For both stability and reliability I would recommend leaving the native IP stack in place and removing associated values the stack may choose to "slap" on the wire.

My 2.12534 Cents Worth (Tax Included)

Scot

From: CJATeck () aol com

I found in early testing that WinPCap did NOT always work correctly (I
understand WinPCap is supposed to work at layer 2 directly with the NIC
interface driver and as such a full IP stack should not be needed) when the
MS TCP/IP stack was disabled, this may not be others experience as I have
noted several different proceedures that appear to work addressed on these
mailing lists. I can only tell you what works for me. If you have find a
better way to make a wheel, more power to ya.
The END result is what is important, a secure sensor that can not be detected
or intruded upon.

Cliff (smile)

In a message dated 6/28/2002 11:40:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com writes:
> Am I missing something!?! Why steps two through four? There's no reason to > have TCP/IP enabled at all on that interface. Winpcap is doing the work,
> not the (shady) Windows IP stack.

monitor

"It's all about the Pentium"
                             -Weird AL