Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and slackware..(logging question)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:40:05 -0400

Well, your question is pretty much impossible to answer without some more information, so before someone can answer you, they'll need this kind of information:

1) what output (aka logging) options are you using in your snort.conf? The exact lines from your snort.conf pertaining to output, path's replaced with xxx if you feel the need, would be most helpful.

2) where are you checking for "logged" information? (if you answered /var/log/messages and did not answer "alert_syslog" above, read up on snort some more and try finding your alerts file)

3) what snort version are you running?

4) when you started snort with -v did you also specify the same command line pcap filter?

5) did you specifically see any ALERTS when using -v

6) when using snort without -v what did you do to try to trigger snort to log something?