Snort mailing list archives

Re: not detecting common intrusion

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:46:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Cearns Angela wrote:

Thank you Erek:

No problem.  :)

I'm indeed pouring thru the doc at the snort website.

Dandy!  That'll really come in handy as you work with snort.  I personally
like to keep a printed PDF bound and ready for quick reference near the desk.

Erek, I'm a student at the University of Colorado
doing research on DDOS and various mitigation methods.
I'm currently building a testbed to simulate DDoS
attack and trying to find out a better way to respond
to the attack. One area of my research focus is rate
limiting. Can I ask you and the mailing list
participants for some personal advice?

Uh, oh...  We're in for it now!  :)

Would it be useful to add a X processor to snort to do
a bandwidth consumption type of detection? Or is there
a much easier way to detect "bandwidth usage beyond a
certain threshold" that it's really not worth it to
add it to snort?

Useful?  Depends on how you view things and your environment.  If all you want
is bandwidth tracking MTRG would work fairly well.  You could also use
something like ntop.

What about adding a rate limiting capability to snort
thru X processor as an "action" to the detection of
"bandwidth overuse"? Will this be a useful feature or
is it just easier for people to configrue rate
limiting through iptables?

This kind of borders on the 'auto-blocking' discussion that pops up every so
often.  Rate shaping/limiting in this way falls into the 'automated response'
category.  I won't bore you with my thoughts on that, but hit the archives if
you're bored enough to read it.[0]

Anyway...  I think that if you can you should limit your traffic at the router
or switch that is directly upstream from you.  If that isn't possible,
limiting on the firewall would be the next 'good' choice.  But as always,
YMMV.  Things will always be different in different setups.

Erek, I don't mean to bombard you with questions but
I've been pounding my head for weeks. Thank you so
much for your help.

heh...  We've all been there.  It'll get better...  And if it doesn't, we'll
start handing out lashes.  :)

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams