Snort mailing list archives

AW: Some questions about snort

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 08:59:52 +0200

- Is it possible with snort to sniff on 2 or more network
cards with only
one instance of the snort's daemon? (in order to monitor 2
or more segments
of a network with only one snort)

No.

Well, I would say directly not but using channel bonding (assuming linux,
don't now about *bsd) you can combine two or more physical nics to one
logical (i.e. bond0) which I use e.g. in combination with ethernet taps to
recombine streams. It works fine.

Take a look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/bonding.

OTOH I use 5 instances of snort on one box with 5 "snorted" nics and I think
I get a better performance instead of using bonding of the 5 nics (no taps
incorporated on that box).

HTH,
Sandro