Snort mailing list archives

Re: [spp_portscan]

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:09:42 -0400

Well, first let's explain a bit about what the portscan preprocessor does.

SPP portscan is a relatively simple syn packet counter.

From the default snort conf:

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log

This means that if there are syns to 4 different port/ip combinations to machines within HOME_NET within 3 seconds from a given host it is declared to be a portscan.

This could easily false if:

1) HOME_NET is set to any (ouch!) and the user starts browsing the web.

2) the particular windows machine does any kind of "batch connects" to other machines with IP addresses covered by HOME_NET. Examples might include things like a pop client fetching mail from 4 different internal mailservers at the same time. Some kind of database app that contacts 4 different SQL servers, etc etc etc.

You've been very non-specific about your configuration and the nature of the alerts, but taking a wild guess I'd say you most likely have case 1, in which case you should create a separate variable for the portscan preprocessor to use. You really don't want to be detecting portscans to "any" without bumping up the thresholds to levels that won't be useful in detecting scans back to your network.

Without some more useful level of detail (ie: what ports are in the alerts? are the destinations of the scan IPs within your network? are any of the machines involved servers? mailservers? dns servers?) wild guesses are the best anyone can give you.